The Case Management Adherence Guide serves the professional care management community as the standard by which case managers can advance assistance, coaching and monitoring efforts with the goal of ultimately improving care delivery and patient outcomes.
Designed to aid case managers in the assessment, planning, facilitation, and advocacy of patient adherence, this guide provide an interaction and management algorithm to assess and improve the patient's knowledge and his/her motivation to take medications as they are prescribed. The patient's individual needs are also taken into account, providing flexibility for the case manager.
CMAG’s evidence-based assessment tools recommend the strategy of motivational interviewing to help case managers address adherence more effectively with patients. Disease state specific chapters also exist as additional downloads that help case managers understand how to apply the CMAG principals to specific disease states and patient populations.
Consider this tool for you or your staff if you are a:
- Case manager in MCO setting in search of a broad guide for case managers in all settings to enhance improvement of medication/treatment adherence.
- Case manager in healthcare setting looking to enhance key skills in improving medication and treatment adherence among patients.
- A new case manager building arsenal of tools and needing to enhance necessary skills in nursing or case management programs.
- Case manager in specific disease-state process management in need of a resource for improved accountability in patient outcomes.
- Managed care medical or case management director looking for an effective, customizable onboarding tool for your organization.
- Medical director with a vested interest in improving nonadherence for better clinical and financial outcomes.
Read More About Adherence
January 5, 2015: CMSA Today™ magazine, Issue 1 of 2015, focuses on challenges and solutions associated with medication and treatment adherence. Click here to read the digital issue!
Medication and Treatment Adherence: Why Is It So Complicated?
BY KATHLEEN FRASER, MSN, MHA, RN-BC, CCM, CRRN
Medication Management in the Community
Improving Medication Management in Acute and Community-Based Care
BY H. EDWARD DAVIDSON, PHARMD, MPH, AND LISA F. HAN, MPH
"Remove From Foil Before Use"
Understanding the Obstacles to Medication Adherence
BY SCOTT PHILLIPS, PHARMD, MBA, MSCR
AHRQ releases new continuing-education video on medication reconciliation supported by clinical pharmacists
A new continuing-education video from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)’s Effective Health Care (EHC) Program will explore how medication reconciliation can help prevent medication errors during transitions in care. Some evidence shows that pharmacist-led processes could prevent medication discrepancies and potential adverse drug events after discharge. The video is available here: http://bit.ly/1DAQjgC
Additional resources are available from AHRQ’s EHC Program. To learn more, access the full Making Health Care Safer II research report (Medication Reconciliation Supported by Clinical Pharmacists is Chapter 25) or read an executive summary of the full Making Health Care Safer II report.
Interested in utilizing CMAG to strengthen your practice? Download your copy today!
CMSA Members: $10
After logging in to the Client Portal via the 'Download Your Copy' button above, select Online Store, then Browse the Books and Papers to select.
A link to the document download will be provided in your confirmation email upon completion of purchase.